Herewith a link to the feedback received from my tutor Douglas Seville for Assignment 2:
The main points that I took from this feedback were as follows:
- Create an alternative line for the upper voices in bar 6 on the last 4 beats of the second line of text in the lower voices on the word ‘sing’.
- Contrast could be created by putting the leading section in bar 9 into the lower voices and follow them with the upper voices.
- Bars 13-14 needs an accent on syllable ‘wake’ instead of the sforzando and change the dynamics from mp to f which would help emphasise the meaning of the declaration.
- Throughout the piece add additional notated dynamics for more accurate expression.
- Make sure phrase marks in vocal lines are only used to show the lines of pitches they should sing using the same word/syllable/other sound. E.g.: bar 7: 2 quavers in alto and tenor on the word ‘this’ should be phrased together. Bar 15: 3 quavers in the bass on word ‘while’. Bar 16; the alto part on syllable ‘fin’-(ger). Bar 18: the alto and tenor on ‘sin’-(ger).
- Critical Review – the choice of topic and composer is up to me but it should reflect my understanding of that composer’s techniques so that I can explain how those techniques have influenced me in my development as a composer. I still don’t have any idea about this review and will continue to keep my mind open as I move through into Part 3 for inspiration.